Here’s a simple vodka-based infusion concerning our dear old pal, the pear. It’s a spicy concoction that only takes a few days to mature, so get on it now and you could be enjoying a nice glass or two on Christmas day whilst slumped on the sofa, counting down the seconds until your relatives clear off.
You will need:
2 pears*, sliced (core them if you can be bothered)
I cinnamon stick
3 or 4 Star anise
- Pour the vodka into a large kilner jar or similar vessel. It doesn’t have to be the highest quality vodka – any brand will do.
- Add the chopped up pears, seal the lid and give it a good shake.
- Leave the jar in a cool, dark place for about 5 days, giving it a gentle shake every day.
- On the fifth day, add a stick of cinnamon and star anise to the mix and leave for a further two days.
- Fish your empty vodka bottle out of the recycling bin and strain the infusion through a muslin cloth, back into said bottle.
We like supping this pear and vodka infusion with a nice glass of tonic water. Add 2 shots per 150ml of tonic water. Drop in a couple of ice cubes if you like.
*Any pear variety will do, but we used Conference pears. Don’t have any Conference pears to hand? Then you’d better enter our GREAT Facebook competition in collaboration with our pals at https://tree2mydoor.com
For more practical pear advice, go HERE
Source: Two Thirsty Gardeners